"When courageous women work together, it reflects the best we have to offer the world." Leymah Gbowee



Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Power of Prayer across the Waters

Dear Sisters,

Yesterday was Baptist Women's World Day of Prayer. I have never participated in this event before so I decided to have a prayer service this past Sunday evening on the eve of this event. What a special and powerful evening. I hosted the event at my church and about 18 women attended, mostly from other churches. The youngest attending was thirteen and the oldest was in her nineties.

I had women pray for specific prayer requests from our Baptist Sisters around the world. An Asian Sister and friend prayed in chinese for our Asian Sisters. I set-up a prayer walk in my church sanctuary, one station for each of the 7 Baptist Women's Unions, and as music played in the background, we walked around the sanctuary praying for our sisters. We created a paper prayer chain with our prayer requests that we held at the end of the service when we closed in a prayer circle. I was so moved praying with my sisters but also to know as we were praying for Baptist women around the world, they were also praying for us. I realized that prayer not only connects me to Christ but it also connects me with women around the world that I do not even know but we are bonded through the love of Christ.

As I prayed for our Sister Unions, many of them had the issue of human trafficking on their prayer list - a horrible and violent issue that bonds us in sisterhood as we work together to break the chains of human trafficking one link at a time. Another issue that was similar to our concerns was women and children in poverty. It's clear that no matter where we live in this world there is always a need and Christian women unite to answer God's call to assist those in need wherever they call home.

I want to continue to feel the connection of women praying for women so I have decided that every Sunday evening at 9:00 pm - wherever I may be - I will be praying for my American Baptist Sisters around the country, for our Region Presidents and Officers and for our National Board and Staff. I invite you to pray with me during that time also and feel God's presence but also know that I am praying for you - Women.... Destined for God's Purpose.

Your Sister in Christ,

Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment